POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Prism refracting a true rainbow ? : Re: Prism refracting a true rainbow ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prism refracting a true rainbow ?
From: Tony LaVigne
Date: 12 Aug 2002 00:40:05
Message: <web.3d5739daafdcd0e888d4e3910@news.povray.org>
Theo Gottwald * wrote:
>Yes, I've already tried a bit and mixed a red, green and blue spot light
>which gives also a lot of colours.
>
>The diffract-examples partially render to some "unnatural rainbows"
>as the colours do not flow in each other but are separated like with a line.
>Especially new_diffract.pov. I am not yet shure what I need to change that.

Is there an option to specify a light source as a beam trace (opposed to a
ray trace)?  The differance in that a ray is a line which doesn't have any
area (in in't cross section).  A beam represents the summing of a bunch of
rays that pass closely to the point of interest (location, eye).  The
closer the ray passes the more it is weighted (gaussian) contribution.  The
beam would smooth the rays.  However at least 8 extra  rays around the
center ray would have to be traced to represent a beam, so this could be
costly.

>However I thought I ask if someone has something like that already.
>
>thanks
>

>"Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>

>> Theo Gottwald * wrote:
>> >
>> > If I take a light and a glas-prism, I get a true rainbow.
>> > Has anyone done something like that before ?
>>
>> It has been done using photons + dispersion.
>>
>> > Can you sent me the scene file ?
>>
>> I don't have a working example handy but if you research those
>> features it shouldn't be too difficult for you to figure out.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Tyler

ton### [at] xenomechanicscom